June 21, 2020 | by: 0 Comments|
Teacher and their student vs a master and slave - If someone crucified our leader, how would we be different? Would the
If you have a leader, and the leader is killed by those who oppose him, should the followers expect anything different? If youvtruely believe in the leader's message, would you stop? With what they witnessed, the disciples were willing to sacrifice their lives to promote that message. Being a Christian and standing up for the values of Jesus will not be easy, but it's the right thing to do.
Most of us have an image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd. So what do we do with Jesus' words, "I have come not to bring pease, but a sword."? The gospel will encounter resistance.
- Images we have of Jesus - we have no physical description, probably so we can relate
- Good Shepherd
- Photo of undefeated Jesus as victorious boxer - defeated death
- Jesus as a judge
- In scripture - usually describe violence and death
- symbolically - points to opression and those who have misused power
- surgery - separates the thoughts and intentsions of our hearts. Jesus calls us to be separated from our sin. The cross divides us from our sin when we follow Jesus.
- called to take up cross, not sword
- die to self-leave sinful habits behind and live for others and Christ even when it's not easy
- Connected to Christ
The violence happening today is an example of how there are well intntioned people on both sides, but in some, it brings out violent resistance and hate in some, and violence in the name of "protection" in others. We may be called to sacrifice,
Comments for this post have been disabled.